Points to Note

(1) Please see the bottom of this page to read the disclaimer

(2) If you wish to read older posts, please refer to the side bar on this page


__________________________________________________________________________


Thursday 29 April, 2010

How to become enlightened

How to become enlightened

Lots of things in life are much simpler than one imagines. And many of them bring a smile on realising the truth. Read this gem that I got from a friend:

A number of years ago I attended a meeting in Boulder, Colorado, with the newly arrived Swami Muktananda from India. He started his lecture with the following story. There was a student in India who wanted to become enlightened. He left his family in search of an appropriate guru to guide. Stopping at one Guru's place he inquired the method of becoming enlightened. The guru said," Becoming enlightened is really quite simple. All you need to do is to go home every night and look yourself in the mirror for 30 minutes, asking yourself the same question over and over. The question is:' who am I? Who am I? Who am I?"

The student replied,"Hey, it can't be that simple."

"Oh yes, it is just that simple," replied the guru, "but if you would like a second opinion, there are several other gurus on this street."

"Thank you very much," said the student, "I think I will enquire down the way."

The student approached the second guru with the same question."How do I become enlightened?"

The second guru replied, "Oh, it is quire difficult and takes much time. Actually, one must join with like-minded others in an ashram and do seva. Seva means 'selfless service,' so you work without pay."

The student was excited; this guru's philosophy was more consistent with his own preconceived view of enlightenment. He had always heard enlightenment was difficult. The guru told the student that the only job open at the ashram was cleaning out the cow sheds. He has to shovel all the cow dung and keep the cow stalls clean. The student accepted the job.

After five long years of shoveling cow dung and keeping the stalls clean, the student was becoming discouraged and impatient about enlightenment. He approached the guru and said, "Honored teacher, I have faithfully served you for five years cleaning up the dirtiest part of your ashram. I have never missed a day and have never complained once. Do you think it might be time for me to become enlightened?"

The guru answered, "Why yes, I believe you are ready. Now, here is what you do. You go home every night and look yourself in the mirror for 30 minutes, asking yourself the same question over and over. The question is: 'who am I? Who am I? Who am I?"

Regards,

N


No comments: